The function of the Parks and Environmental Committee is to develop and recommend to the Federation membership positions on the local parks, recreation areas and environmental issues that impact the membership area and communities of the Federation. The functions of the Parks and Environmental Committee include the following:
- Gather information concerning local parks and recreation areas; identify and resolve, if possible, issues related to current functioning and proposed modifications to parks and recreation areas within the Federation membership boundaries, and keep the Executive Committee and the general membership informed of these issues;
- Gather information concerning environmental issues, to include the Chesapeake Bay watershed, landfills and sanitation facilities, air pollution, and other environmental hazards and keep the Executive Committee and the general membership informed of these issues and the status of major Environmental projects within the Federation area.
- Review the implications of the County Comprehensive Plan and amendments to the plan on parks, recreation areas and the environment within the Federation membership boundaries; identify and resolve, if possible, issues related to the plan or amendments; and make recommendations concerning the Federation position concerning the plan or amendments.
- Review and make recommendations on the Federation position with regard to any legislative or regulatory changes effecting parks and recreation areas. Review and make recommendations on the Federation position with regard to any environmental issues, provisions or practices.
- Draft resolutions which identify the critical issues and, if applicable, the resolution thereof; and state the recommended Federation position with regard to the issue.
- Execute the Federation responsibilities for clean up of the Federation-adopted highways and waterways.
- Serve as a member so the Land Use Committee and provides advise on the Environmental issues related to land use applications before the committee.